French police have detained 11 people suspected of providing material assistance in the truck attack July 14 in Nice that killed 86 people and injured more than 400.
The massacre was originally considered a “lone-wolf” attack by Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, the Tunisian man who drove the truck on the beach walk before getting shot dead by police. Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack but authorities have questioned whether Lahouaiej-Bouhlel had any actual ties to the terrorist group.
“We are talking here about a logistical trail, of people who could have helped in carrying out the attack,” a source told Reuters.
Several of the people under interrogation come from eastern Europe, including at least one from Albania. Ten of the suspects were detained in Nice while one was arrested in Nantes in western France.
It is unclear which kind of role they played in the preparing the attacks or if they were aware of Lahouaiej-Bouhlel plans.
“They (the 11) did not necessarily know about the attack but they are part of a criminal milieu involved in arms smuggling,” a source told AFP.
Six of the people have been charged so far, AFP reports. The remaining can be held for no more than four days if no charges are filed.
The Emergency Election Sale is now live! Get 30% to 60% off our most popular products today!